Social apps are in a constant arms race against user inventiveness when security concerns clash with convenience. Often, the implemented measures lead to both sides ending up at a loss, and Snapchat is a prime example of that. Unlike, say, Telegram, which has previews out of the box, the question of how to open a snap without them knowing has been bugging Snapchat users ever since the app’s release.
Reasons to See a Snap or Chat Message Without the Other Person Knowing
If any of the following reasons resonate with your concerns, you’re in the right place:
- Parental concerns and supervision: When you need to monitor your child’s Snapchat to make sure they’re not harassed;
- Annoying people you can’t block: When someone is a habitually unwanted guest but can’t be discarded easily.
- Overwhelming correspondence: When you need time for a proper answer but can’t do it without full context.
How Does Snapchat Work?
In a nutshell, Snapchat is a social app with a heavy focus on edited images and videos intended for instant exchange. Its messenger may seem rudimentary, but it offers tons of tools for quick and confidential conversations, like the self-destruct upon view feature. No other app has 4 color codes that indicate how exactly the recipient interacted with your message.
4 Ways How to Read a Snapchat Message Without Sending a Read Receipt
Let’s take a look at the methods that have been around for more than a decade. The question is, how well do they hold up in 2023, and what came to replace the obsolete ones?
Way 1: How to Open Snap Without Them Knowing by Turning on the Airplane Mode and Clearing Cache
The first answer you’ll hear whenever you ask how to open a snap without them knowing is that the airplane mode and cache clearing combo used to be a truly great method for the early versions of Snapchat.
Alarming signs that led to the method’s demise appeared some years ago – first, when this sequence stopped yielding consistent results, and later on, when adding the extra steps also led to failure too often. Here’s the full algorithm – use it at your own risk and don’t get your expectations too high:
- Step 1. Open Snapchat and proceed to the chat list. Let it load fully, but don’t click on anything yet.
- Step 2: Switch your phone to airplane mode. See the official Apple Airplane mode guide and Google Network Control FAQ if you need help with that.
- Step 3: Open the desired snap, but don’t attempt to screenshot it – this will secure a 100% failure chance.
- Step 4: Use the phone’s app settings to get rid of Snapchat’s cache, then remove the app. Skip the cache part if you’re using an iPhone and delete the app right away.
- Step 5: Reboot your phone and switch back from airplane mode after a couple of moments.
Way 2: Half Open Snapchat Without Them Knowing (Outdated)
Those who came to learn how to half swipe on snap are, sadly, late to the party, as the feature had been getting increasingly unreliable up until 2022 when Snapchat finally eradicated it entirely. We do not discourage you from trying the method and will provide the instructions below, but don’t say we didn’t warn you later.
- Step 1: Open the chats page and find the snap you’d like to half-see by half-opening.
- Step 2: Press and hold your finger against the sender’s Bitmoji or avatar and pull it to the right in the slowest possible manner to get the feel of how the tab moves.
- Step 3: Stop when the preview covers about 3/4ths of the screen and try to make the most out of reading the visible part of the message. Don’t let go of the screen just yet!
- Step 4: In a similar gentle manner, pull the preview tab back until it gives in and slides beyond the screen. Back in the day, this worked every 4 times out of 5, but now the success rate equals a resounding zero.
Way 3: Have a Second Snapchat Account to View Stories and Messages
If your primary goal is to view Snapchat story without letting them know, having a spare account with vague or non-existent personal details is the way. Needless to say, this fake account must still contain some believable content to avoid being reported as a bot.
Having a second Snapchat account is a great way to stay under the radar, and it surfaces in articles on secret snap viewing too often to ignore, but it actually has nothing to do with ways to open snap messages discreetly. This method allows you to add the person as a friend whose Snap you want to view and see their Snapchat stories incognito. That said, let us proceed to the provably efficient category.
Way 4: Open Snap and Chat Message Without Them Knowing Using Spy App
Spy apps, or trackers, are pieces of software designed specifically to handle a wide array of mobile monitoring tasks. Using a cutting-edge tracker like SpyBubble makes the problem of how to open a snap without them knowing a minor task.
The best part about spy apps is their sheer scope of use. If you need to view someone’s Snapchat story, they will not only do this anonymously but let you record it without any exposing notifications sent to the author. In addition to handling Snapchat, SpyBubble will let you take a peek into their other social media and messenger accounts.
Steps Involved in Using SpyBubble Snapchat Monitoring on Android Without Rooting
SpuBubble uses a utility applet to infiltrate a cell phone of choice. The applet creates a stable transfer channel that delivers almost all the data from the target device to your account’s storage. Follow these steps to activate your SpyBubble account and become able to check another person’s activity on Snapchat without logging in:
- Step 1. On the SpyBubble website, look for a carrot-colored button in the top right that says ‘Try Now’. Click it to proceed to account creation. The field in the screen center will require your email.
- Step 2. Choose which operating system SpyBubble shall be configured to infiltrate. Verify that the platform you opted for previously supports the functions you require, including the ability to read Snapchat messages.
- Step 3. Pick one of the subscription plans featured at the top of the page. Note that prolonged use is much cheaper with an extended license. Consider the supported payment methods and pay using the applicable mechanism.
- Step 4. Get your license key sent to the provided email along with the detailed installation manual. Slowly and carefully follow each stage of the installation – all points are crucial, and missing one may require doing it all over again.
- Step 5: Use your login credentials and key to log into SpyBubble. Your dashboard will register a new device, and pressing a button in the top left will initiate synchronization. Be patient, as it may take up to 24 hours.
- Step 6: When the sync is over, scroll the side panel to the ‘Social’ tabs group and click on Snapchat. This is where you’ll see a table with such details as the chat name, username, the last message in the chat, and its date and time of arrival.
- Step 7. For even more control, proceed to the Keylogger tab in the ‘General’ section or explore your newly acquired capabilities of Snapchat screen recording in the designated section.
Snapchat’s rigorous attempts to patch the exploits in their programming have rendered most guides on how to open a snap without them knowing utterly obsolete:
- The airplane mode and cache clearing combo only works on a whim and can’t be considered reliable anymore;
- Half-swiping has been fixed to a point where even a pixel-precise move will still result in them getting notified;
- Using a second account to watch Snapchat stories anonymously is okay in its own way but doesn’t solve the problem.
All in all, using tracker apps like SpyBubble is the only adequate answer to the question of how to read a snap without opening it in 2023. Relying on other methods will yield a one-time success at best or lead to embarrassment and misunderstandings in the worst-case scenario.
Is seeing Snapchat without them knowing against Snapchat’s privacy terms?
Snapchat rules do highlight the right to privacy, but they are declarative in nature and don’t rest on designated laws. When you find out how to open a snap without them knowing, your primary concern should be the implications of using the discovered info to your advantage.
Opening Snapchat messages that weren’t meant for you will only get you in trouble if their rightful recipient finds out about that. Such an intrusion may convince them to block your account, report you for breaking the terms, or seek other means of retribution. Use the proven means to avoid detection, and you’ll be fine.
Can I screenshot a Snapchat without someone knowing?
Snapchat is very protective of its users’ privacy and has gradually eliminated all the possible backdoors that provided the means to make a secret screenshot on Snapchat. The only way we can think of is logging into their own account – the app, of course, won’t react to screenshots of your own messages.
You are welcome to see for yourself how useless the old workarounds have become over time. Create two test accounts and try to save snaps without raising the alarm – we assure you that airplane mode, clearing cache, and screen recording will all fail.
Can I add someone on Snapchat without them knowing?
If your goal is to avoid informing them about the very fact, then it is impossible. No matter what option you go for, be it a QR code or adding from a search, Snapchat will instantly notify them.
However, if you only want to conceal your identity, then nothing stops you from setting up a second account with made-up info for the purpose. How they will react to this anonymous act is a different question – if you’re not on good terms, they may suspect a ploy and block this account as well.
Can I message someone on Snapchat without being friends?
Yes, but the chances of them getting your message depend on whether their account is public or private. If it’s the former, they will see it on their chat list right away. With the latter, however, you can only hope they will care enough to accept it in the Pending tab.
Regardless of the outcome, the steps to Snapchat messaging from a non-befriended account remain unchanged: take a photo, tap ‘Send’, look for the username in the Search bar, tap ‘+’ to add as a friend (this step can’t be skipped), and finally, tap ‘Send’ again.
How do I block someone on Snapchat without them knowing?
Blocking Snapchat users doesn’t involve a mechanism that will tell them the bad news directly, but you must understand they will establish the fact sooner or later. This is due to all the restrictions that come with blocking:
- Snapchat will filter out your username so they can’t find your account;
- Their messages won’t reach you if sent via an existing chat;
- All your messages from such a chat will be erased instantly.
If that sounds too radical, you may try a more subtle approach – from the app’s Settings, pick the ‘Who can…’ menu and restrict their ability to interact with you or your content – disappearing from someone’s online life has never been easier.